Two unknown gunmen have been killed in a joint operation carried out by the Nigerian Army, Nigerian Airforce, and the Police Command in Imo State.
The State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Abutu Yaro, confirmed this to newsmen in Owerri on Friday.
Yaro said that the bandits were gunned down in a gun battle between the military and the unidentified gunmen at Ikenanzizi in Obowo Local Government Area of the state.
He added that two rifles, five motorcycles, a Lexus jeep, and one 18-seater bus were recovered from the gunmen as exhibits.
He further said that the operation was carried out in line with the federal government’s resolve to rid the country of ravaging insecurity.
He said, “It was a joint operation of the army, airforce, and police, two unknown gunmen were killed in the process and investigation is ongoing.”
He, however, said that the team could lay hands on only one corpse as according to him, the hoodlums escaped with the second corpse.
“We have one corpse but they escaped with the other one and it (corpse) has been deposited at the Federal Medical Centre Owerri morgue,” he said.
He called on residents of the state to remain calm and go about their lawful activities adding that security agencies had the situation under ‘firm’ control.
He also assured the people of the state that the camps of the hoodlums in the area had been gotten rid of by the joint operation.