Residents flee Enugu community over police arrests

IGP Solomon Arase
IGP Solomon Arase

Residents of Umabor community in Eha-Alumona, Nsukka Council Area of Enugu State have fled their homes following a reported mass arrest of residents by the police.

Community sources disclosed that both youths and elderly were leaving the community in droves, describing the action of the police as shocking. According to them, about 20 persons had been arrested.

It was gathered that the development is a fallout of an alleged attack on a police station in the community.

“What happened yesterday (Wednesday) night in Owerre Umabor is most shocking and strange; some youths from Eha community allegedly attacked the police station the previous night but to our greatest shock, instead of the police going there to make arrests, they came to Umabor community in the night and started arresting even the elderly men,” The Guardian was told.

“The police are not in doubt over the people that attacked the police station; they are not in doubt over the people that blocked Makurdi Expressway. So, this latest action by the police is most condemnable.

“They went as far as entering the family house of Nsukka Council Chairman, where they also arrested three persons.

“As I speak to you, our place is deserted now; we are calling on relevant authorities and the Enugu State Governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, to come to our aid. The Governor should please save us from this intimidation.

“The police know they have issues with Eha community, not Umabor. Does it mean they are afraid of going there? The Tuesday clash was caused by a similar action, because they stormed a viewing centre and arrested some residents; now they are at it again. They should stop this unnecessary mass arrest.”

It could be recalled that the police had on Tuesday night arrested some youths at a viewing centre during a Chelsea match, a situation that angered the residents, leading to alleged attack on the Umabor police station.

Efforts to get Police reaction on the development were unsuccessful, as the Police Public Relations Officer, Ebere Amaraizu could not be reached on his mobile phone.(The Guardian)

Leave a comment