Fire incident at Udenu INEC office caused by power surge


Gov Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi
A section of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) office in Obollo Afor, the council headquarters of Udenu Local Government Area went up in flames last night, according to local sources.
The first was quickly contained by the Enugu State Fire Service which has a station in the town.
Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi visited the scene of the fire incident, arriving at 11.46 pm where he received and briefed by the local government chairman, Solomon Onah, the Area Commander of Nsukka Police Area Command, the INEC Electoral Office for Udenu council, Dustan Eke and men of the local vigilante.
An eye witness, Tobias Omeje who resides in a nearby house told The Easterner that the fire was apparently caused by sudden power surge. He explained that the area had been without light for several days, adding that the fire was noticed immediately light was restored by the electricity distribution company.
He said spirited efforts were made by locals to contact the Enugu State Fire Service which arrived in no time and put out the fire before it could spread to other parts of the building.
A state government statement said the governor was visiting the area for the inspection of ongoing government projects when the incident occurred.
Meanwhile, the Enugu State Police Command has corroborated eye witness accounts that the fire was sparked by sudden power surge.
In a statement released on Friday morning the police stated as follows:
“Following a distress call received at Udenu Police Divisional Headquarters of Enugu State Command, on 13/05/2021, at about 2140hrs, alleging there was fire outbreak at the Obollo-Afor Office of the Independence National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Udenu L.G.A. of the State, Operatives attached to the Division immediately raced to the scene, while contacting Fire Service Office in the area to promptly put out the fire.
“2. Preliminary investigation suggests that the fire, which was eventually put out before it could spread to other offices around the building, through the combined efforts of the State Fire Service, the Police and law-abiding citizens, may have been caused by power surge due to sudden power supply to the building.
“3. Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police, *CP Mohammed Ndatsu Aliyu, psc*, has ordered cordoning off of the scene and launch of thorough investigation to further ascertain the actual cause of the fire outbreak and damages incurred.”

Leave a comment