The curfew imposed in some Local Government Areas in Anambra State on movement of certain class of vehicles from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on Monday entered Day 4 today in the state with heightened fears and uncertainty.
Residents had expressed the fears that the government had gone supportive of the dreaded sit -at -home as Governor Soludo had added that tricycle, motorcycles and shuttle buses would not operate on Monday in the affected Local Government Areas during his broadcast last week, saying that that part of the curfew was not supportive of the separatists’’ sit-at-home order.
On Monday, Anambra residents recoiled in their houses as they avoided any economic activities in obedience to the IPOB’s sit-at-home order, an order people obey out of fear.
Markets, shops, schools, courts, hospitals, banks and telecommunication facilities and other private and public businesses were shut down while there was no vehicular and human traffic in the major roads in Nnewi, and reportedly other areas affected by the curfew in the state.
But in his reaction on Monday, Governor Chukwuma Charles Soludo said the curfew was not supportive of the sit-at-home.
Soludo who spoke through the Chief Press Secretary, Christian Aburime, said the governor had never supported the sit-at-home adding that the curfew was to restore peace and security in the state.
“It is not true. The governor has never supported the sit at home. The curfew in the 9 Local Government Areas was for until further notice. Gvernor Soludo has been working hard to return peace and security to the state. The curfew is meant to restore peace and security to the state,” he said.