Obiano imposes curfew on two Anambra communities

0
163
Advertisements

Willie Obiano

The  governor of Anambra state, Willie Obiano, has imposed a curfew on two communities following the communal clash that claimed three lives on Sunday.

No fewer than three houses were burnt and about nine persons, including a former Chief Judge in the state, were injured in the mayhem.

Announcing the curfew on Monday in a public service announcement, the Secretary to the State Government, Prof Solo Chukwulobelu, said the development was with immediate effect.

On stating that the curfew would run from 7pm to 6am until further notice, Obiano warned that security personnel were on strict orders to enforce the curfew.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Ikenga Tochukwu, while stating that normalcy had returned in the area, said three persons died in the fracas.

The PPRO said, “Normalcy has been restored in the area and our men are still on the ground to ensure the safety of life and property. So far, we have recovered three bodies that have been deposited at the morgue.

It was gathered that Anaku and Omor, have been having a protracted crisis over land.

A source said, “Some of the affected persons in the renewed crisis include a former Chief Judge of Anambra and a former commissioner.

In a related development, the state government on Monday lifted the curfew imposed on six communities – Igbariam, Aguleri, Umueri, Nteje, Awkuzu And Umunya.

The Secretary to Anambra State Government, Professor Solo Chukwulobelu said the lifting of the curfew which began on Monday, 26th April 2021, was with immediate effect, as normalcy had returned to the communities.

Leave a comment